Kat's Blog

Kat's Blog

Friday, December 09, 2005

Happy Holidays: Christmas In Crisis

Ok I have to talk about this because it's so absurd. Certain right-wing conservatives and religious groups are saying that we are at war with Christmas. That this country is trying to destroy Christmas because we say Happy Holidays in our cards instead of Merry Christmas. Even Bush has come under fire because his White House Christmas cards say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

Now I am as far from a Bush supporter as you can get. I didn't vote for him in either election, I voted for his opponents. But this is not an area where I can criticize him or anyone else who says Happy Holidays for. Do you know how many major holidays come in December? Christmas is just one of many. The Jewish faith has Hannukah and I apologize if I spelled that wrong. African Americans have Kwanza. Again sorry if I spelled it wrong. And Muslims have Ramadan. Once again, sorry if it's spelled wrong. Also, one week after Christmas is New Year's.

What is wrong with saying Happy Holidays so that everyone knows you wish them a happy holiday season and a great and healthy New Year? It doesn't mean we are trying to kill Christmas. Personally, as such a public person I think it's only right that the official White House cards say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. That doesn't mean Bush and his family can't send out personal cards from their family saying Merry Christmas. But cards coming from the President in an official capacity should be all inclusive.

I celebrate Christmas. But my cards usually say Happy Holidays because they are for both Christmas and New Year's. This arguement by people like O'Reilly and the religious right are just plain ludicrous. There are far worse things in this world to complain about than this.

No comments: