Kat's Blog

Kat's Blog

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Back To The Bash!

The bash is back and this week helping us to party is Susan Royal. Hi Susan and welcome.:-)



1: How did you start writing?
I can honestly say I never remember a time when I wasn’t making up my own stories, writing them down and illustrating them. And when I wasn’t doing that, I was listening to tales passed down by my mother, my father and my grandmothers.



2: What is the one thing you most enjoy about writing? Least enjoy? What I like the most is creating worlds filled with diverse characters who have fascinating adventures in places I would love to explore. What I like the least is the tedium of editing under a deadline. I begin to second guess everything I do.

3: If you could go back in time and talk to anyone, who would you speak to? Why?
I would love to talk to Ray Bradbury. The man painted pictures with words. He made fictional Greentown Illinois so real I wanted to live there. Another man I’d love to visit with is Mark Twain, because I love his wit.

4: When you write do you plot out the story or do you let your muse run wild? I start out with research, notes and character sketches, along with a very loose outline of what I EXPECT to happen. When I begin writing, it could go anywhere from there.



5: Tell us a bit about your book. From Now On is the second in a series titled It’s About Time. It takes place on the Isle of Man in a medieval world. Griffin has traveled across centuries to reunite with the woman he loves, but he and Erin may not get their ‘happy ever after’. Not if Lady Isobeil has anything to do with it. She forces Griffin to leave Erin behind and travel to eerie Manx Island. When he goes missing, Erin and his friends set out to find him. Followed by his strong-willed sister, Kateryn, they ride to Swansea and secure passage with the notorious Captain Akin.
     Erin sees firsthand how the island earned its dark reputation when she battles freakish weather, encounters a race of little people known as “Prowlies”, and experiences ghosts of the long departed. She discovers “ley lines” crossing the island’s mountain peak and making time travel possible. 
     Yet these obstacles pale in comparison to the secrets Erin uncovers while determined to rescue the man she loves

6: What inspired the story? I love the idea of time travel. Imagine finding yourself transported to another time. There’s something about the idea of getting up close and personal with the way things are. Experiencing them for yourself. Just thinking about it gives me goose bumps.

7: Is this a series or a stand alone novel? This book is the second in the series It’s About Time, but it can be read as a standalone. Frankly, I never intended to write a sequel until my daughter read the book, called me up and said, “This can’t be all. There’s more story to tell. You need to write a sequel!” She was right. And I’m just getting started. I’ve got folders full of ideas for my next installment.

8: What advice would you give an author just starting out? Join a critique group, go to conferences, enter short story contests, write, edit-edit-edit, submit and never ever give up.

9: How do you balance writing with the demands of everyday life? I try to spend several nights each week at the computer instead of watching television. I set mini-goals. Sometimes I come in from my day job and tell my husband “I’ve got to write tonight…you’re in charge of supper…I’ll see you at 10 pm or I have to take a break from writing, because I need to spend time with the family.

10: How much research do you do for your writing? I’ve done tons and guess what? I LOVE it. It helps to give me a feel for the era I’m writing in, whether I use it in the story or not

11: If you met a genie, what 3 things would you wish for? Why? I wish I’d gotten serious about writing at a younger age, I wish there were more hours in a day and I wish everyone had a family as supportive as my husband, kids and grandkids.

12: What is the one thing about the writing world that most surprised you? If you’re published, everyone assumes you are raking in the money. Authors are very supportive and friendly people.

13: What are you currently working on? I’m about to finish a young adult fantasy about Xander, a little person who solves mysteries.

14: What do you like to do when you aren’t writing? I spend time with my children and grandchildren. I have a full time job. We live in an old farmhouse constantly in the state of renovation. I love to repurpose. I love flea markets and garage sales. I have been sewing since I was a young girl. Ditto painting with acrylics. I love photography. Music is another passion. (Now do you understand why I’d like more hours in the day?)
15: What is the one thing you’d like people to know about you? I love to laugh, and I hope my humor shows through in my writing.


5 Bonus Questions

16: What’s your favorite color? Teal, dark Red, Navy, Black

17: What’s your favorite food? Lobster, tacos, hamburgers

18: Favorite TV show? Xfiles, The Walking Dead, CSI,

19: Favorite Movie? Braveheart, Outlander, The 13th Warrior, Timeline, Last of The Mohicans


20: Favorite Song? Just Breathe – Eddie Vedder, Don’t Dream It’s Over – Crowded House, Whatever Makes you Happy - Powderfinger

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Nice interview! I love to do research, too. Sometimes to the detriment of my writing!

Susan Royal said...

Thanks Cheryl and thanks so much for having me today, Kat. It's been great. I love doing interviews with you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for being here Susan. It's always fun to have you.