Kat's Blog

Kat's Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Onwards & Upwards


Sorry about yesterday but the internet was giving me a major hard time. But today, I would like to discuss the third book in Yasmine Galenorn's Sisters of the Moon series called Darkling. I love this series and the third book was just as awesome as the first two. Darkling covers the youngest of the three sisters, Menolly. Here is what the back cover has to say:


Three sisters ridding the Otherworld of evil--one monster at a time.


We're the D'Artigo sisters: Half-human, half-Faerie, we're savvy- and sexy- operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But our mixed blood heritage short-circuits our talents at all the wrong times. My sister Camille is a wicked-good witch whose magic is as unpredictable as the weather. My sister Delilah transforms into a tabby cat when she's under stress. And me? I'm Menolly acrobat-extraordinaire-turned-vampire. And I'd give my right fang to make my sire pay for killing me. That is, if he doesn't find me first.


All over Seattle, humans have been going missing, only to turn up as newborn vampires-the sure sign of a rogue vamp on the loose. It looks like Dredge is to blame- the same sadistic Dredge who gave me my scars, and who may well be in cahoots with the demon Shadow Wing. If so, Otherworld and Earth are screwed. The only way we can hope to defeat Dredge is for me to travel home to Otherworld, and face my own demons. For unless I sever the ties that bind me to Dredge, all hell is going to break loose.


In many ways, Menolly is the most tragic of the three sisters. She was taken prisoner, tortured and mutilated, and then turned vampire. Her father sort of turned on her because he couldn't handle her being a vampire. The thought of being intimate with a man after what her sire put her through, turns Menolly's stomach. She really has much personal turmoil to overcome on top of the fight to save the world.


Darkling was awesome. A real roller coaster from start to finish in terms of not only the action, but the emotional roller coaster Menolly must endure. The only way to stop her sire's plans is to kill him. The only way to get near him without him realizing it is to sever the psychic ties that bind a vampire to her sire. And the only way to sever those ties is to relive, in total detail, the night of her capture and torture.


I love this series. The next in this series, Dragon Wytch is coming out this summer. Each book travels between the viewpoints of the sisters. Witchling, the first book, is told from Camille's viewpoint. Changeling is Delilah's, and Darkling is Menolly's. With Dragon Wytch, we switch back To Camille who is going to have pay off her debt to the dragon Smoky. Next year, with a tentative release date of January, Death Maiden comes out. In Death Maiden we switch to Delilah who is going to have to face what she became in Changeling, a collector of souls for the immortal Autumn Lord. This series rocks!

No comments: